Mamelodi Sundowns co-coach Manqoba Mngqithi has questioned the manner in which match officials came to the conclusion to disallow one of their goals in their win over Chippa United on Sunday afternoon.
Defender Mosa Lebusa scored what was thought to be Sundowns’ third goal of the match in the second half, but referee Victor Hlungwani – after consultation with one of his assistants, reversed the decision and deemed the goal offside!
While replays suggests Lebusa was in an offside position when the ball was played, it wasn’t until Hlungwani had a brief discussion with his assistant that the goal was subsequently disallowed – but this happened a few minutes after the celebrations.
“I also think it was an offside, to be honest,” Mngqithi told the media after their DStv Premiership match at Loftus Stadium, which eventually ended 2-0 in Downs’ favour to keep them top of the table.
“But my biggest surprise was that the PSL also has a VAR now? Because when the flag is not up and the referee has said it’s a goal, suddenly there are negotiations and then it’s not a goal, then you know it’s not meant to be.”
The Premier Soccer League does not have the video assistant referee (VAR) technology yet so Hlungwani’s decision to reverse the goal was bizarre.
It’s likely to be another talking point when the SAFA referee’s review committee meets this week having recently handed out sanctions to match officials for their recent blunders in many of the top flight matches this season.
More to read
- Breaking news : JZ Reveals Pirates’ Formula Against Chiefs
- Madisha’s Passing Confirmed By Family
- Chiefs Boss Explains Ngcobo Decision
- Pass Or Fail? Hunt’s Midway Chiefs Report Card
- Derby Heroes Reveal The Secret Behind Bucs’ Triumph
- Downs Boss: PSL Has VAR Now?
- Lorch: We Knew Chiefs Were Slow Defensively
- Bucs Coach Praises Two Stars After Derby Win
- Swallows Maintain Unbeaten Record At SuperSport
- Nkosi Hoping Chiefs Are Going Back to ‘Olden Days’
- Bucs Punish Wasteful Chiefs In Soweto Derby
- Hunt: We Should Have Won Quite Comfortably