Saturday’s Soweto Derby loss to Orlando Pirates marked exactly 15 league games in charge for Gavin Hunt since taking over at Kaizer Chiefs in September 2020.
Hunt’s official record shows that he has overseen 22 games in charge of Amakhosi (including cup and continental competitions) but it is Hunt’s league performance that is the main focus.
In the DStv Premiership, the 56-year-old has a dismal win rate of just 27%, having won just four of his 15 matches in charge. Meanwhile, 40% of Hunt’s matches have ended stalemates, with six draws.
The former Bidvest coach has suffered five defeats in the process leaving him with a 33% loss rate.
At this point last season, Hunt’s predecessor Ernst Middendorp enjoyed a far better record with a 13,5% loss rate, having suffered just two defeats. In addition, he drew two of his matches with a 13,5% draw rate, but it is Middendorp’s 73% win rate that stands out, with the German winning 11 of his opening games of the 2019/20 season.
Sure, Hunt has had to make do with a deflated squad that came within minutes of league glory last season and was unable to put his identity on his side with Chiefs currently serving a two-window transfer ban from FIFA.
His senior players have also been found guilty of committing individual errors in crucial games, something that Hunt has bemoaned.
However, Hunt has largely underperformed as Chiefs coach, much to the annoyance of the club’s loyal supporters who have called for his sacking despite the coach being just four months into his three-year contract!
Chiefs’ brightest spell so far has been their three-match winning run that saw them gain wins over AmaZulu, Cape Town City and Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila respectively.
However, since then, they have drawn two matches against Baroka FC and Stellenbosch, while embarrassingly suffered their third defeat of the campaign to their archrivals Pirates.
There will be a bit of respite for the Glamour Boys who have a couple of days rest with their next match in the Nedbank Cup against Richard’s Bay on 7 February.
More to read
- Breaking news : JZ Reveals Pirates’ Formula Against Chiefs
- Madisha’s Passing Confirmed By Family
- Chiefs Boss Explains Ngcobo Decision
- Pass Or Fail? Hunt’s Midway Chiefs Report Card
- Derby Heroes Reveal The Secret Behind Bucs’ Triumph
- Downs Boss: PSL Has VAR Now?
- Lorch: We Knew Chiefs Were Slow Defensively
- Bucs Coach Praises Two Stars After Derby Win
- Swallows Maintain Unbeaten Record At SuperSport
- Nkosi Hoping Chiefs Are Going Back to ‘Olden Days’
- Bucs Punish Wasteful Chiefs In Soweto Derby
- Hunt: We Should Have Won Quite Comfortably